Monday, June 18, 2018

Day 14 - Train to Copenhagen (JR)

     Greetings from Denmark! Two weeks and 233, 832 steps in; I have reached my third Scandinavian country! Today, we got up early to catch our five hour train from Stockholm to Copenhagen. We arrived at our hostel at 2 pm. The girls and I went out to find something to eat, went to the grocery store, and then took a nap after getting back. It is now 8:20 pm, and I am still tired. However, I need to finish this blog post.



6:00 am My first alarm went off but I was up off and on all night because I was concentrated on not getting downstairs late to leave for the train. 

6:30 am I got up, took a shower, and got dressed.

7:11 am Chloe and I left the room to head downstairs. 

7:30 am The group left the hostel and arrived at the train station at 7:45 am. We were given fifteen minutes to go find something to eat if someone did not eat at the hostel.

 8 am We went to our train platform/gate and the train arrived at 8:10 am and pulled off at 8:17 am.
Copenhagen Station

     I got on the train and realized that my seat was backwards but I did not think it would be a big deal. I had a good amount of leg room and I was pretty comfortable until the train started moving, lol. After about an hour and fifteen minutes, I began to feel sick riding against the direction of the train. I tried to fall asleep, but I could not. I sat in my seat for about forty-five more minutes and then I turned face forward in my seat to see if it would help.

     Dr. White was sitting next to me and was uncomfortable as well and told me that the Bistro car was more comfortable to ride in because he left earlier in the ride to find a forward facing seat. Two more stops after that, I moved to the Bistro car while the train was not in motion. I stayed in the Bistro car for about an hour and forty-five minutes to the Malmo Station. I bought some chips and salsa. Although that was not our initial station, our train was having technical difficulties so we had to change trains at that station.

     When we arrived at the Malmo Station and got to our train platform, it seemed as if the whole station was getting on the train to Copenhagen. When we got on the train, there were only a couple of seats available. I sat down at the closest seat to where I am standing to get out of the way and make more room for those who are still boarding. After everyone boarded the train which was filled to capacity, (we were packed in there like sardines) there was about a two minute delay before the train started moving. I quickly realized that I was sitting backwards AGAIN. *face palm emoji* 

     We had four or five stops until we reached Copenhagen but the ride was about thirty-five minutes. I was more preoccupied this time because I was thinking about how I managed to end up sitting backwards again. I was hungry and ready to take a nap. We reached the Copenhagen station and walked fifteen minutes to our hostel. We got our room cards and had a twenty minute break before orientation in the lobby.

     After the orientation, the girls and I went to go find something to eat. We ended up going to a inexpensive restaurant and I ordered pizza. I told myself that in Denmark, I would not order burgers or fries. (Update: 6/27/18 That did not go as planned :) ) Although, Chloe gave me a couple of hers -- I did not order them. That is what is important but, I will see how that goes (lol) with every other restaurant on the street being a burger place.


     Anyways, we went to a grocery store after our meal to see what snacks were offered. We came back to the hostel and all of us fell asleep. We woke up around 8:00 pm. We decided to get out of the room for a bit and explore the hostel. We ended up going to the basement and playing ping pong and then we played Kala upstairs in the bar area. Ev and I went to 7-Eleven after the game to find a snack since we did not get anything from the grocery store. I got a water and a small chicken taquito.

     We got back to the hostel and I took a shower and started back on my blog. It is currently 2:37am and I done, but I will add the pictures tomorrow so that I can try to go to sleep now that I finished with the writing portion. Good Night!