Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Day 8 - Old Town (JR)

       Greetings from Sweden, it is currently 1:08 and I am not trying to maintain my Helsinki routine. Hopefully, I will be blogging earlier after tonight. Today, we ended our journey on Mariella and arrived in Stockholm! We took a bus to the hostel and then toured the big city. I must say I love the weather here and I can tell it will be much warmer than in Helsinki. 


Stockholm

     If you read the previous blog, you know that my morning was spent on the boat getting to Stockholm. I woke an hour early to get to a group meeting but my phone was still on Helsinki time, and I had two and a half hours left until we got to Stockholm. Getting off at the Stockholm port was very chaotic, there were people, luggage, and kids everywhere. It looked as if someone had a million dollars at the gate and everyone was trying to get to it first. 


     Upon arrival at the port, we boarded a bus. It took thirty minutes to get to the city bus station and the walk to our hostel was ten minutes. The hostel is very modern and artsy. The lobby is super cool and has a cafe and plenty of chairs and tables and is connected to a tattoo parlor and bar.  The rooms are bigger than the cabin last night so everyone is happy, lol. On a serious note, the rooms are very spacious and we have two bunk beds and a bathroom with a shower. 


     Check- in was at 3pm but we arrived around noon. After putting our belongings in the group luggage room, everyone received their per diem for the week and walked around to find some lunch. Chloe and I ended up going to an Italian restaurant which they seem to have a lot of them around town. We shared a pizza and headed back to the hostel to meet our group to head to our walking tours at 1pm. The boys took the city tour and the girls took the Old Town tour. 
Da Penne Due

     During the tour, we learned background history about Sweden and how Stockholm came to be the capital. Old Town had very beautiful buildings. We visited many cool landmarks, churches, squares, and more. We also learned about the nobility in Stockholm. We went to the Royal Palace and saw the Parliament building, and the prime minister of Sweden's place of residence. The tour lasted two hours and ended at the Stockholm harbor. 



     The tour guide was very interactive and knowledgeable about Stockholm's history and gave us the tour in miniature stories so that we could remember the history and monuments. The most memorable statue for me was "Iron Boy", he is the smallest statue in Stockholm. He is very important to the locals and  visitors because if you rub his head, it is known that many people become fertile after touching him. Because he is known to symbolize good luck, many people leave coins so that they are not just taking but also giving back to the statue. In the winter time, locals knit scares and a hat for Iron Boy. I took my picture and quickly walked away, I do not want that kind of luck right now!


Iron Boy
Thinnest alley in Stockholm

     After the tour, we went back to the hostel to check-in to our rooms. We had two hours before our Stockholm orientation. I think all of us fell asleep for a little bit.  After the orientation, the girls and I went out to grab some dinner. We went to another Italian restaurant and I ordered a chicken rigatoni pasta. It was pretty good. We walked back to the hostel after dinner and just relaxed in the room. Ev, MaryEllen and I went down to the sports and games night a couple of hours ago, but when we got down there, it had calmed down.  We just sat and talked for a while and then came back to the room. I took a shower and finished proofing my other blog. Now, I am headed to bed. Good Night!


Alforno