Friday, August 3, 2012

June 18 Amsterdam


Today the Amsterdam school week officially began and it was an eventful day indeed. The day started with the walking tour of Amsterdam. I didn’t want to make the same mistake as yesterday so I was right on time. Unfortunately one of my classmates wasn’t so I was forced to leave me tour guide and catch the tram with her to the central station.  When we arrived I couldn’t find my group anywhere but coincidently another group had just started and I jumped right in.  I had learned many facts about Amsterdam to include: the history of Rembrant and his artistic style, the east India Trading company and local shipping endeavors, and well as the red light district and the guidelines for the use of marijuana. Come to find out weed was technically not legal in the city it was just tolerated.  After the tour I made my way to the local shopping center to start my interview hunt. Once again I did not get an interview however, I was able to schedule and appointment. Immediately following this I rushed back to the hostel to get ready for the Nikki Minaj concert that night. We got as fly as possible and made our way down to the lobby where we stopped to take pictures. Next we stopped at the hostel bar to get the night started and hopped in our Mercedes Benz taxi cab to make our way to the Heinekin Music Theatre.  The line for the concert was wrapped around the outside of the building.  Upon entrance we eased our way as close to the stage as possible.  The rest of the night was filled with fun and entertainment. The night ended with a taxi ride back to the hostel among new friends.