Wednesday, June 29, 2011

June 29, 2011

Today I had a really good day. . . Woke up this morning to a great breakfast, had a great lecture on today also about Consumer Behavior by Dr. V, such a great instructor and professor. . . After class, of course we had the usual LUNCH which was different from the days before and very good I might add. . . After finishing lunch, I relaxed for a little while until we decided to make a visit to the museum which was quite interesting. . . But overall I had a good day and that just seems like everyday Im not sure why but Im just trying to make the best of everyday while Im here because I know when I go back home everything is going back to the norms and I gotta get back used to it. . .I GUESS. . . I will now be discussing what I've learned from talking to someone of Dutch nationality. . .

Today's assignment was to explore outside of the norms and to find out about the rituals/traditions of any nationality of our choosing. . . Also, to compare to the U.S. . I decided to approach a male, who works here at the Hostel. . . One of the traditions that he spoke to me about was getting acquainted with others by shaking hands or rather giving each a kiss on the cheeks. . In the U.S., we don't do too much kissing on the cheeks rather giving a hand shake or two. . He also mentioned to me that during breakfast in the mornings, they either eat breads or potatoes in the a.m. which is odd to me because in the U.S., we have scrambled eggs, bacon, fried bologna, etc. . . There's always going to be a difference in certain cultures. . . We do celebrate birthdays the same by having a cake I might add. . . But another thing thats different is when we're presented a gift, we might wait to open it but for the Dutch culture, presents are unwrapped straightaway. . . But one thing that's crazy to me is they celebrate Christmas on a Saturday actually December the 6th to be exact. . Lastly, they also eat pancakes like a deep fried one but I'm guessing it's a tradition that's been around for a while or so. . .

The Dutch culture is very unique. . . This can, of course, be said of each culture BUT they physically set their selves apart from any other cultures. .