Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Port of Rotterdam

Today we took a tour of the port of Rotterdam. This tour was my first time on a boat and I didn't get seasick; I loved it. We started off on the old side of the port where it was more of a residential area. The first big site i saw was the World Musem. We are supposed to visit it later on this week. I actually am looking forward to the visit so I can learn more about the differnet cultures that inhabit the earth. While sailing through the port i got to see the huge containers that I would normally see on trains. It was enlighting to see where they might have come from. I also got to see where damaged ships go to get repaired. My favorite site was the S.S. Rotterdam. It instantly reminded me of the Titanic. It actually is the largest ship built in The Netherlands. It ceased service in 1997 and has been turned into a hotel. Overall I really enjoyed the tour and I am looking forward to the rest of the week here in Rotterdam.