Thursday, July 17, 2014

Amsterdam Day 4 (11 of 21)

July 16, 2014

Amsterdam Day 4 (11 of 21)

Wednesday, hump day in Amsterdam. Ironically, I did not even spend the day in Amsterdam, but in Rotterdam. The Independent Studies class went to the Port of Rotterdam. It was amazing! I had a spill from a bicycle today. I didn’t get hurt, didn’t even get the skin broken on my knees. Thank God!
The Port of Rotterdam was spectacular in that it is the third largest port in the world. In some degree I would like to say that if it is being shipped, it probably is passing through Rotterdam. I learned that this port is 25 Km from the North Sea. It is fascinating to me that the port does not only ship containers, but crude oil flows through there as well. My group took the tram to the station then took a train to Rotterdam. I would tell you about the train, however I went fast asleep.
Once we arrived in Rotterdam, Dr. V rented us bicycles. I do know how to ride a bike. I want everyone to know it is not a game here in the Netherlands. Bicycles have the right away over pedestrians and cars. The tram trumps both of them though. Anyway, up we go. We all adjusted our seats and got our bearings. We pumped and pumped gliding through the streets of Rotterdam like Netherlanders. Wow, we really did this today.

Bicycles, trains, trams, and please don’t forget walking have been my forms of transportation for the past 11 days. It seems like longer than this, but it is great. I am always optimistic in most situations and nothing was different today. Not only did we use those transportation methods talked about earlier, but we also took a cruise around the Port of Rotterdam on a lovely sailing vessel. We had our lunch on the ship and even had ice cream. This Rotterdam excursion could very well be the best one on this trip. We toured the port and afterwards we cycled over to the radio tower, Radio Rijnmond FM 93.4. Amazing again! I was proud of myself that I did not complain about the stairs. I was a bit slow getting up to the lift, but it was well worth it. I had a panoramic view of the city of Rotterdam.