Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Berlin Day 16 of 21

July 21, 2014

Berlin Day 16 of 21

Monday morning usually puts a dreadful mood in the air because everyone has to get back to the grind of the work week routine. Today was that way in Berlin too. We started our day late because we had an appointment with the German Congress. Today was like no other day for our group though as we had a dress code that consisted of business casual. We are students from the United States and should represent ourselves accordingly.
Our expedition to parliament was exciting in a way because a few of us were left behind. We were not late, but the others left without us. We did not know exactly where we were headed, but we knew we must try. To the tram station we go. We get a tram headed towards the United States Embassy. We were just there yesterday because this is where we met our guide to tour the city. While on the tram, we were asked to see our ticket to ride. One student who will remain nameless could not find her ticket quick enough and was asked sternly to get off the tram. Wow! I told you all that Dr. V was right. He told us at the beginning that we must keep these tickets on us at all times. He said we would not have to show them unless asked by the transportation authorities. Today was the day. The nameless student did get off frantically searching her bag for the ticket. The tram pulls off. The feeling of helplessness fell on me as I thought to myself she has to have it and should I have stayed with her. The Lord gave me peace about the situation and I did not get off. The next stop was Brandenburg Gate. It was as if she appeared out of nowhere, the nameless student popped up excited about the fact that she did find her ticket and was released to be on her merry way. I was so relieved that she was alright that I hugged her. I explained that I wanted to be with her, but I knew that I should go ahead and take care of myself.

This adventure is a study abroad and I do not want to miss class, an appointment, or a deadline so I proceeded accordingly. We went through security and up stairs, around Dem Deutschen Volke it was a great day. I saw parts of history that I read about as a child. This is well worth the time off from work, time away from family, and money spent to see these parts of the world. For instance, I saw a tin box with Adolf Hitler’s name on it. This box is but one of nearly 5,000 tin boxes that represents each member of Parliament One thing that I loved was the fact the tour guide, Ralph Holtkemeier, said that the eagle was a hunter, a bird of prey, a killer. He also said that some Germans did not like it to be the symbol for their country so they don’t call it an eagle; they call it The Fat Chicken.