Monday, July 21, 2014

Day 2---Berlin

July 20, 2014
            Sunday for people in Berlin is a really rest day. I went to a grocery store in the morning, but it closed. Dr. V told us people in Berlin love Sunday. They will do nothing but enjoy this day. However, I have never thought even the sellers in the grocery store can stop working on Sunday. It was really surprising me.
            In afternoon, I went to join a walking tour. Our tour guide named George. He is from Missouri, United States. He is not that kind of funny. I guess the reason is he respects the history in German. He told us the only day people in German will celebrate together is their national football team won the championship of the World Cup of the European Cup. All the Germen try to pay Nazi’s debt. Unlike Japanese, Germen though they feel regret to the people who was persecuted by Nazi.  They also built The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. It is the correct way to tell the next generation what the real history is. 
            Meanwhile, about the Berlin Wall, it was a barrier constructed by the German Democratic Republic starting on 13 August 1961 that completely cut off West Berlin from surrounding East Germany and from East Berlin. Before the Wall's erection, 3.5 million East Germans circumvented Eastern Bloc emigration restrictions and defected from the German Democratic Republic, many by crossing over the border from East Berlin into West Berlin, from where they could then travel to West Germany and other Western European countries. Between 1961 and 1989, the wall prevented almost all such emigration. The physical wall was primarily destroyed in 1990. The fall of the Berlin Wall paved the way for German reunification, which was formally concluded on 3 October 1990.
Before I went to Berlin, I am really interested about the history of Berlin. All big things happened in this city. When I looked the Berlin Wall, it seemed like you can see the people from both sides. I cannot image what kind of feeling I will have if my family and I were separated in a same city. This is the city I want to know best.  I can’t wait to explore more about this historical city.