Friday, July 18, 2014

Amsterdam Day 6 (13 of 21)

Amsterdam Day 6 (13 of 21)

July 18, 2014

Today is Friday, July 18, 2014 and this is a free day. What do you do on or with a free day? I know, you do whatever you want to do. Today, I took care to explore Amsterdam alone. I had some time to see other parts of the city that I had not been privy to see earlier in the week. A tram pass is what made this great exploration day possible.
We have been walking everywhere and it has been good for me as I always need some exercise. Any exercise that increases my heart rate is good. I have been throughout Amsterdam on foot and today by tram. It is wonderful to see new things and different people. I recommend this travel experience to all students who think their city is all there is to life. When I first thought about Amsterdam, I thought about how this culture is open to almost anything. It very well may be open to everything, but I will reserve to generalize. Anyway, my quest today was to visit museums, explore the city, and gather some more interesting facts about perfume an cosmetics in Amsterdam.
I visited the Van Gogh Museum, the Diamond Museum, Rijksmuseum, and oh so many more places. I was in search of what else to do with a free day. My quest then was to find out the reason why Dutch people wore wooden shoes. I asked some people on the street, but they did not know. One man directed me to a woman who could explain why Dutch people wore wooden shoes. I walked in the store and asked the lady behind the counter if Dutch people still wear wooden shoes. She laughed and said they were merely decorative now. I then asked her why people even chose wood to make shoes anyway. She continued to say that the reason people in Holland chose wood was because farmers used them in the fields to keep from sinking in the mud.
The question has been answered. Dutch people made wooden shoes to work in the fields to keep from sinking in the mud.