Thursday, July 17, 2014

Amsterdam Day 5 (12 of 21)

July 17, 2014

Amsterdam Day 5 (12 of 21)

Thursday, Thursday, Thursday! Today was a great day in Amsterdam. I slept in a bit; I got up at 8 am instead of 7 am. Breakfast here in Stayokay Hostel is very good. There is an offering of meat, cheese, cereal, bread, and fruit from which to choose. Let’s talk about the bread. It seems that this hostel makes its own bread from a special blend of items that only is available at Stayokay Hostels.
We arrived here on Sunday, July 13, 2014 and everyone was well. No breakouts, headaches, or anything. Since Sunday, we have had students to break out with a rash, some had headaches, and of course I fell off a bicycle. The headaches I will say came from being tired from moving to another country. My bicycle spill came from being too cautious. Now let me tell you about the rash. Today it is better, but Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday a couple of girls broke out in a rash that Jessica called the plague. They had red splotches all over their bodies. They itched, and burned, and looked terrible. Well, Dr. Shanklin took one of the girls to the doctor. They stayed there for a few hours only to be told they do not know what caused the rash.   The doctors here think that it is an allergy, but to what they do not know.
Mystery solved, it was the bread. Yes, the bread made for this hostel was picking our group off one by one. I had hoped that it was not contagious, and it was not. One by one they stopped eating bread and slowly the rash has cleared and everyone is looking happier and happier.
In Paris it rained daily at some time or another. The students were not unhappy, but here in Amsterdam everyone has a smile on their faces, the sun is shining, and it’s great. The sun makes me happy. I have more willpower to get out and do something as opposed to staying in the room because it is raining. Today was a great day. I went out to lunch with a couple of friends. We had lunch on the roof top of a mall. It was a fun filled day. I worked on my Amsterdam project too because this is not a vacation it is a study abroad trip that just so happens to feel like a vacation. Work, study, and even play have to come to an end sometimes. The moral of this blog is work while it is day because when night comes no man can work.

Okay, I said all of this about this nice day and look who was still close behind me. My recommendation is don’t get caught with your work undone because you never know when this guy will come to get you.