Saturday, July 19, 2014

Day 6---Amsterdam

July 18, 2014
            Today is a really hot day. I went to the Van Gogh Museum and Diamond Museum. Because of the weather made me feel uncomfortable, I decided to back to hostel early.
I think the Van Gogh Museum is more interesting than the Diamond Museum. The Van Gogh Museum opened on 3 June 1973. It is an art museum that dedicated to the works of Van Gogh and his contemporaries. It has the largest Van Gogh collection in the world. It comprises 200 paintings, 400 drawings, and 700 letters by Vincent van Gogh. The main exhibition chronicles the various phases of Van Gogh's artistic life. The museum also features notable art works by Van Gogh's contemporaries in the Impressionist and post-Impressionist movements and holds extensive exhibitions on various subjects from 19th Century art history.
The Diamond museum was founded in 2007 by Ben Meier of Coster Diamonds. The permanent collection consists of diamond jewelry and gives background information about diamonds.
At night, we joined a canal tour. It is really beautiful. It made me feel that it is another city I visit. So many people just have a seat around the river. They were drinking beers, talking to people, and enjoying the freedom the city gave to them. Actually this life is what I want to have. Not so many pressures from life. I love this city.