Friday, July 25, 2014

Friday, July 25, 2014

Berlin Last Day 20 of 21

All good things must come to an end; and it is true this has been a good thing. On my journey to Europe I have learned to appreciate my life. In Paris I learned to live with three other women who were literally strangers to me. I made it. In Amsterdam I lived with seven other women. This was challenging to me because I am a woman of order. I like things the way I like them; these other women had different standards of living that I was not accustomed. Clothes on the floor, make up all over the bathroom, hair products strewn from the front door all the way to the shower, and stuff everywhere. To move on to Berlin, my roommates were handpicked and we were a great fit. A diverse group of women from different background and standards grouped together to live and let live in Berlin.
Today being the final day in the city I took out on an adventure seeking my final information for my Independent Studies class. Today was like an expedition because I had several options from which to choose, but only a short amount of time to do it. The ironic thing is today was easy. I slept very well, awoke early, dressed, and was out a reasonable time. Oh, this was a great day. It is always good to be able to share a good day with friends and that is what I did as well. Tao and I ventured to the other side of town looking around and enjoying the local chow. I searched for the post office and it was hidden right at the foot of the train station. I met some very nice people on the street and one lady said it best. There are more strangers on the streets here than local people. She sounded like she was from Russia.

Strangers or friends it is good to have someone to talk to, to understand your situation, and most of all someone who is willing to let you be you. Music is good for the soul and today I met someone who made magical music and was just as glad to meet me as I was to meet him. A world renowned artist, Piano Rico, was playing in a shopping mall and no one was paying him any attention. I saw him and was drawn to him. He played a little more; afterwards we had a friendly conversation. It is good to know that even though we are different we are all the same. I had a wonderful day, a wonderful study abroad experience, and looking forward to a great flight home.