Sunday, June 26, 2016

Day 4 & 5 - More Research and Microsoft

Today we ventured out to the Omni Shopping center. I was hoping to get some interviews since I hadn't been too successful and I did. Although I tried four businesses I did get to speak to 2 of them. There was also a grocery store located inside the shopping center so we were able to check the prices of milk, eggs, and cuts of meat. 

Afterwards we headed to lunch and then downtown to view some more skate shops. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find any but I still count the day as a success. One thing I do realize is that it's hard to find people who don't mind giving you 10 to 15 minutes, let alone 30 for interviews within the city's tourist areas. Majority of my interviews have come from residential areas or areas of downtown that isn't geared towards tourists.

We cut today short and returned back to the school due to being tried, so today ended up being short.

Day 5

Today we toured Microsoft! Over and over again we were reminded that the company didn't grant many tours so we should be considered special. Being Microsoft, we weren't allowed to take pictures inside the building, which was to be expected. All together we had four speakers who all spoke on different topics. The one that stood out the most was the last one. The speaker, Stephan Howell, shared that one of his children has a disability and he has actually used Xbox's Kinect coupled with a simple coding software to design video games to help him learn. It's the simple coding program that allows people from all backgrounds and ages to be able to create games that can be used for anything. For example, companies have used Howell's example to create programs for kids who are in rehab and need motivation to exercise.

Howell's excitement and passion for his job was evident. His children are clearly his passion and he gets to create things that benefit them for a living. I walked away today with the confidence to create a job for myself that is based on my passion and not just someone else's vision.