Sunday, June 17, 2012

Friday June 15th: Atomium, Museum of Breweries, Saying Goodbye

The Atomium is a symbol of Belgium and one of the most unique pieces of architecture in the world. It was built in 1958 for the Worlds Fair, and like the Eiffel Tower, it was never intended as a permanent monument and yet it remains. I learned about it through a geography app on my phone which is fitting to the futuristic nature of the design and am happy to have seen it finally. I was less impressed however than I was hoping to be and wished it was walking distance from town instead of on the outskirts.
I traveled back to the hostel in hopes of finding a museum partner but when I got back from The Atomium, none could be found. Venturing out alone it seemed only logical to make the Museum of Breweries my first destination. Why not learn about the culture and enjoy a free beer included in my academic museum pass. The museum was small but the beer was amazing. I already had an appreciation for the modern brewing process but they also had the tools and a tutorial of the brewing process from 200 years ago. Learning about the history and how the process has changed and stayed the same was really cool.
Tomorrow we are leaving for Amsterdam and I think I speak for the majority when I say that I am really excited and looking forward to the change. As Brussels was a pleasant change of pace from Paris, I think Amsterdam will provide the perfect balance to end with.

Speaking of balance, I thought this photo was fitting to show the balance of old and new in Brussels. As the "Capital of Europe" Brussels has a long and unique history with a hope to renew itself as a modern metropolis and leader in the European Union. With such a prominent history and promising future, the city has a lot to offer, and I am looking forward to coming back and getting to know the city a little better.