Sunday, June 10, 2012

Friday June 8th: Louvre, Petit Palais, Grand Palais, Les Invalides and Invader!

The early worm gets the bird.. or something like that. I was up early and managed to make it to the Louvre at 9am. My mission: Mona Lisa, Winged Victory of Samothrace, Venus de Milo, Egyptian Antiquities. It was a very successful day and getting there before the crowds became overwhelming was critical. Myself and two other students spent about 4 hours in the Louvre before we became exhausted. They went back to our hostel to rest and I continued on to the Petit Palais and the Grand Palais which I didn't get to see the last time I was in Paris. The Petit Palais was good, but not great. Perhaps I'm not the most appreciative museum patron and don't have the best understanding of the art world. Simply stated, I like what I like and I didn't love it. I was excited to see the inside of the Grand Palais because the entire roof is one big glass dome. It was very cool and the space was humongous. The right exhibition or concert would make it one of the coolest places in Paris to me. I saw Napoleon's tomb and military museum next which was also very interesting.

Silly as it sounds nothing was as exciting to me as finding Invaders work posted up all over buildings and street corners of Paris. I really like street art and was happy to come across several cool pieces while in Paris. Of all the art work that I've seen so far... the simple street art has been my favorite. Tomorrow I'll hopefully be back in the Louvre and Musee de Orsay which should provide some new favorite works of art! Unless of course I find an amazing tattoo artist in Paris and decide to spend my day getting some art work of my own to take home. Haha. Well... maybe?