Sunday, June 10, 2012

Saturday June 9th: Catacombs, Musee d'Orsay and the last night in Montmarte

Apparently the human body requires sleep, who knew? I finally slept and therefore didn't crawl out of bed until around 10:30, which meant I missed my chance to go back to the Louvre. So I started my day as any good day should start... with death and bones! The Catacombs were very cool but very creepy, holding the remains of over 6 million people! It was a very ominous place and I carried the smell of death on my clothes the whole rest of the day. Thankfully the awesomeness of Van Gogh made me forget all about it. I was so thankful to walk through Musee d'Orsay, it was by far the best art experience in Paris. I appreciate the works of Picasso, Cezanne, Renoir, Monet, Degas but Van Gogh really made me happy. I wish there was a more elegant way to express that feeling but it's easiest to just say that it made me happy. I loved the color the thick brush strokes and the style. I never labeled myself as a post-impressionism fan before but I felt truly inspired by Van Gogh's work and think my tattoo temptations from yesterday may come to fruition as a Van Gogh piece!

After Van Gogh changed my art experience in Paris I headed back to Montmarte to spend the last night in Paris in the neighborhood in which we were staying. Everyone from the group was already gone for the evening so I ventured out alone. I ended up meeting some Canadian guys who had just arrived and sharing a few pints with them. At first they seemed a bit uptight but once I found out they were investment bankers and bond traders I knew that could be true. *laugh. We had a good time making small talk about the most relevant economic issues and the politics of our particular countries until a couple of French girls caught their eyes and the focus shifted. I was handed a business card and told to send my resume by the older of the two guys, which normally I would find odd but it was the third job offer I've received since landing in Europe a week ago. Having been to Paris before but not Brussels or Amsterdam, I am looking forward to exploring a new city! Although, my last night in Paris proved to be pretty fun and I'm a little sad to be leaving so soon. Anyway, on to the next adventure!