Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tuesday June 5th: Catching up on some much needed sleep and playing tour guide for some new friends

Unfortunately I don't have a lot to say today because I finally slept... most of the day actually. It wasn't intentional but I needed the rest pretty desperately. It was nice to lay in bed and read a little bit and write in my journal. After a long lazy day I headed upstairs to the hotel lobby and found a few people from our group who were looking for a guide. The four of us set off for the Eiffel Tower and a few of the neighboring sights. I think the best way to see the Eiffel Tower for the first time is by the Trocadero metro. When you climb up the stairs out of the metro you're standing behind the Cité de l'architecture et du patrimonies and as soon as you round the corner you see the entire tower right in front of you, it's an amazing sight to take in all at one time. It's been rainy and a little cold so I'm hoping for some clear nights to get better pictures. It's amazing to think the French didn't want to keep the Eiffel Tower after the Worlds Fair in 1889. Today it stands as one of the most recognizable sights in the world and it is the quintessential sight of the city of Paris.