Wednesday, June 20, 2012

June 20 2012 Roterdam

Today we fun event filled day in Roterdam.  The day started pretty early and ended relatively late. We met at central station at 8am and took about a hour long train ride to the city.  I tried to sleep but it was more of a tease than a energy boost that I was hoping for.  After getting off the train we went straight to the bike shop to rent our transportation for the day.  Most of us including myself hadnt been on a bike in almost a decade but it came back naturally.  Manuvering through traffic on a bike was quite an experience.  The first even of the day was the Spido boat tour of the shipping port in Roterdam.  The port was the largest port in Europe and the third largest in the world. The next stop was a TV tower within the city.  I made it to the second highest level unfortunately my nerves didnt let me make it to the top. After the TV tower we road through a small neighbohood in the city to get something to eat.  I had a chicken pizza but it didnt taste like anything from the states.  I hadnt yet felt like I had enough of Roterdam so I decided to stay a little longer with Biff's class.  We went to see where the Mayflower left to go to America. We made a couple more stops to include a boating dock, a park with a petting zoo (where we fed about 20 Bambis), and finally a nice cafe with an exception view of the lake. It was the first time I had seen real sunshine in these last three weeks. It was Beautiful. After this we made our way back to central station in agonizing pain from the bike seats. I honestly dont know Europeans ride bikes all day. I didnt sleep on the hour ride back to the hostel so now I am ready to. Good night bloggers.