Monday, July 27, 2015

Day 15 (The Struggle to leave Amsterdam)

What a long day it has been, and it’s STILL not over. Today is the day that we left Amsterdam and headed to Berlin, but things got complicated fairly quickly. We boarded the train, and I went straight to sleep! That part was simple. After about 3 hours, I’m scared out of sleep. “Get up! We have to go! This train isn’t going to Berlin!!!!”, were the exact words that made my heart jump out of my chest!
            Thank goodness we didn’t have to get off of the train immediately. Everyone that was awake just panicked because of an announcement that was made on the intercom. The announcement explained that yesterdays weather conditions forced the train to cancel the trip to Berlin. Once our professors and the train commanders figured things out for us, we unloaded the train. Plan 1 was going to be to ride all the way back to Amsterdam and charter a bus to Berlin! Thankfully, the stop that we were at when the announcement was made had another train coming soon that would travel to Berlin.


            When we got the group ticket for the new train ride, we didn’t necessarily have reserved seats, so there was a possibility that we wouldn’t even be able to sit…….for 6 hours! I spent 20 minutes trying to find a seat. By the grace of god, two seats were open on my second round trip up and down the aisles of multiple train cars! By that time, I was extremely irritated, and all I wanted to do was sleep. So I did just that.