This morning the marketing group joined three other classes on a field trip to the Sachsenhausen Memorial and Museum near the city of Oranienburg. Sachsenhausen was a concentration camp from 1936 to 1945 and then became a Soviet Special Camp.
According to the audio tour Sachsenhausen was the first concentration camp to have a planned architectural design meant to create the ideal camp.
It was chilling to walk through the camp and see the reminders of the level of cruelty human beings are capable of inflicting on one another.
|Memorials to the six mass graves|
|Along the west wall|
|Inscription at the Place of Remembrance (Station Z)|
|Tower E at the north point of the triangular camp|
The one glimmer of life in the entire audio tour was the story of the string quartet that secretly practiced in the pathology building and even performed for fellow prisoners in the delousing chamber. The quartet consisted of two violins, viola and cello (Bohumír Cervinka, 1st violin; Karel Štancl, 2nd violin; Jan Skorpik, viola; and Eberhard Schmidt, cello). The piece mentioned in the audio tour is Antonin Dvořák’s string quartet in F major.