Sunday, July 26, 2015

(Day 14) The road to Berlin

Today we leave for Berlin and I am completely excited, not only because it's a new city but because we have one week left until it time to return home. As we woke up and headed to the train station to leave Amsterdam, I was not looking forward to a 6-hour train ride but I was sure it would pass in no time. After getting on the train for the first hour, I slept because I was still tired from the night before. As I was enjoying my sleep I was awoken by a fellow classmate telling everyone to wake up because our train was not going to berlin. Everyone woke up in a panic not really understanding what was happening. So, apparently due to the storm the night before in the Netherlands many trees fell and some hat actually prevented some trains from their routes. So everyone remained on the train and we were going to head back to Amsterdam to charter a bus when the operator told us that another train was coming that was going to berlin on a longer route. We got off the first train and waited for the next train to berlin. Once the train arrived we soon realized that since this was not our original train that we didn't have reserved seats so most o us had to either sit on the floor or stand for part of the train ride. The remainder of the day consisted of our long train ride to berline and by the time we arrived to our hostel we had been traveling for over 12 hours.