Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Day 2: Bastille Day!

Happy Bastille Day to all! Today is the French Independence Day, and boy do they know how to celebrate. All museums were free to enter and the streets were filled with participants. After orientation, and a brief meeting with Dr. Lukosius, we ventured to the Catholic Cathedral of Notre-Damme. Hearing the bells of Notre-Damme ring with my very own hears was absolutely a break taking experience for me. For a moment it took me back to my childhood, hoping Quasimodo was up in the bell tower. Notre-Damme was truly such a happy place, as soon as we exited the metro I was taken back, "Oh wow now I really feel like I'm in Paris." The beautiful fountain on one side of me and the river on the other with boat after boat just cruising through, it was wonderful. There was so much happening in the area, a local was showing off his ability and confidence in handling hundreds of birds, holding his hand out and they would just come to him. My friend conquered her fear and joined him in handling the birds. It was an amazing sight to see. Shortly after this we noticed a woman standing blindfolded with her arms wide open and a sign that read "I trust you, do you trust me? HUG ME" Extremely reluctant at first, I did not trust her. However after watching her with several people and witnessing the reactions she absolutely lightened up my day, it was so inspiring to see, literally bringing a tear or two to my eyes. When the sun has set it was time for the festivities to begin, including fireworks! Due to a lack of planning and an ungodly crowd, I spent most of the firework show trying to get to the fireworks at the Eiffel Tower. Once we had finally arrived, the show was actually over, however I was lucky enough to witness a lot of the show from the metro while in motion, not a bad view I will admit. However, I did not care that the crowds were unbelievable or that the firework show had ended, for I was staring at the Eiffel Tower, which was still lit up and sparkling. The real experience was the metro ride back to the hostel after it was all said and done with. Police everywhere, metro attendants on every corner, and absolutely as many people in the metro that could possibly physically fit into the metro. It was absolutely crazy, at one point I just busted out laughing and could not even hold my composure for it was that insane. Yesterday was truly such a wonderful day, I will never forget it as long as I live.