Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Happy Bastille Day! How fortunate to be in Paris today!

After lunch I took the metro to the Paris sight that was top on my list: La Basilique du Sacré Cœur de Montmartreré.  You thought I’d say the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre, but no, this is definitely the location that holds an attraction for me that goes back for decades.   To finally see it was intensely moving, so much so it brought tears to my eyes.  No photos allowed inside to capture the contrast between the white exterior and the dim interior with its shimmering statues and the hundreds of twinkling candle light.

This evening the marketing class had dinner together and then we split off – the youngsters to the Eiffel Tower to catch the fireworks and I headed back to the hostel where I had a terrific “local” view of the fireworks.  Wonderful patterns because of the shape of the Tower and every now and then the well-known silhouette appeared through the remnants of smoke.