Sunday, July 24, 2016

Day 12

Today we woke up and went to the van Gogh museum as a whole group! Everyone dressed a little nicer than the past days because we took a group picture at the "I Amsterdam" sign. There were so many people there luckily once our whole group walked up most people decided to wait take their pictures because they didn't want that many random people in their picture. The van Gogh museum was okay not really my favorite thing because I'm really not that into it. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have Starry Night in there also because that's by far his most popular painting and the one I love. I did enjoy seeing the exhibit on why he killed himself and cut off his ear. Over the years people have tried to see what type of mental illness he had but nobody ever figured it out there are just many possible things he could have had like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, and a personality disorder just to name a few. 

After we left the museum Jasmane, Kempson and I went to Albert Cuypmarket not too far from the museum. This was a pretty cool area to see of Amsterdam! In the market you could really find almost anything you needed. They had clothes, shoes, souvenirs, food, cosmetics, and many other things! I bought some souvenirs there and food. I first got a pesto grilled cheese from a grilled cheese stand and it was amazing!! The cheese in the Amsterdam that I've tasted was better than in France to me. Then Kempson notices a place that sells all chicken (wings, burgers, sandwiches, hotdogs, etc) all for 2.50 euro! We got some wings and they were really good as well! After spending a few hours down there we decided to head back to the hostel to take a break from all of the walking. On the way Jasmane needed to stop at a few more banks and we did. It was cool because the route we took ended up putting us right in the middle of Vondelpark not too far down from the hostel. I hadn't been this far yet I. Vondelpark so it was pretty cool because I got to see what everyone was talking about its really a great park! When we got back Jasmane and I took naps until it was time to go to the canal cruise. For the canal cruise we went as a whole group. I liked the canal cruise we got to see where all the canals lead to, a pirate ship, and see Amsterdam the way locals do. It was also relaxing just being on the water but I don't like when the boat started to rock too much it made my stomach feel a little funny. After we left the canal cruise we grabbed some pizza and a group of us decided to come back out and grab a few drinks it was a lot of fun! Today overall has been a great day!