Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Day 2!!! July 13, 2016

Today was an amazing and full day! I began the day by attending orientation at 7:30 A.M. I was planning to wake up earlier than that to go and get breakfast and just be ready for my day, but it didn't go as planned. I woke up in just enough time to get dressed and head downstairs, which I'm glad because none of the cafeterias were open yet. Orientation was quick and easy, and because I had read over the syllabus so many times in order to prepare, nothing felt overwhelming. Once I had to breakfast, it was time to hit the city!
I traveled with my group to Denfert-Rochereau in search of interviews and ended up having the most amazing time! Denfert-Rochereau is a complete gem!! It was full of pharmacies and shops and restaurants and everything we could ever imagine! We saw shops and markets and hotels, which was great for research purposes, but also to be immersed in French culture, getting the entire experience. I think this is my new favorite place.
After eating lunch, I had to go back to the room to rest and take a nap because the day was getting to me. I got up, met back with my group after a break and we headed to the art district! It was beautiful! Our first stop was the Sacre-Coeur. At first, seeing the basilica was intimidating because there were so many stairs. But how could I have this amazing chance and not conquer these stairs? Up we climbed and the view was absolutely breath-taking! I mean, things like this were elements of a dream and I was a witness. And as if that wasn't enough, we went inside!
Sacre-Coeur is truly the heart of Paris. Being in the basilica is a feeling that I cannot even explain, so I won't try, but it was a moving experience that I will never forget. It reminded me that being here is still a blessing and I am thankful for that every day!
Next, we took a nice walk to explore more of the beautiful Montmartre and found a great little restaurant for dinner! I actually got a three-course meal, which was delicious, and I tried mussels for the first time! It was all very wonderful. To end our successful day, we stopped by the famous Moulin Rouge. After an adventure in the train station and walking through the cold rain, we made it back safely, just in time to get enough rest for another day in Paris!