Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Day 15: WELCOME TO BERLIN!!!

Today is our first full day in HOT Berlin! I honestly don't know how to feel about being in Germany yet. I have some ties here, but I was having trouble connecting with this city. Nevertheless, I can say that I felt the same way in the other cities as well, so just like Paris and Amsterdam, I was going to have to get used to Berlin.
Just like any other city, our first day alwasy consist of a free walking tour! I was not that excited because the night before I had to do laundry and it took then entire night. Apparently, in Germany, the washers and dryers are a lot more complex, and take around 90 minutes to wash and 135 to dry. With three loads, I was exhausted by the next day. Knowing that our walking tours usually last from about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, I wasn't sure if I was going to really be up for it, but I didn't really have a choice. I got up to meet the tour guide and we were off!
We met at the Brandenburg Gate, which was absolutely beautiful and got seperated into groups. Our tour guide's name was Susan and already, she had my attention. She was a history buff so I could tell that she not only knew a lot, but that she was passionate about her work, which made the tour so much better!! From stop to stop, I was engulfed in Berlin and German history, and it made me want to learn more and more! Although it was hot, it was by far the best walking tour I've been on this etire trip. I guess you could say at this point, I was beginning my romance with Berlin. I'm looking forward my time here.



Later, we went on our first excursion! It was to the TV Tower in Berlin. Now, the TV Tower is located in Alexanderplatz, which is kind of like an epicenter in Berlin, known for shopping and food and everything you need. The TV Tower is famous for its height, which it got because before our recent technology, the only way the people of the city could get television connections and any kind of signal was from this tower. The higher it was, the further out the signal could go and more people could be reached. Now, it is not used for this, but as a tourist site for those wanting to see Berlin in a different way. 
Getting to see it from the groud is one thing, but from the top is an entirely different experience. In all honesty, I must admit, I was first looking to see the Eiffel Tower in the distance, but I reminded myself that I was in Berlin, which was just as beautiful. My first day in Germany was one to remember.