Sunday, July 17, 2016

Day 5: Versailles!!! July 15, 2016

Today was the start of a long day, as we headed to Versailles at 8:15 AM!! It was early, but from what we heard, the train ride to Versailles was long and the lines were even longer, so we made the sacrafice! (Spoiler Alert: It was worth it!!)
We got to Versailles in time enough that we didn't have to wait that long. It was a huge crowd of people surrounding the golden-trimmed palace. The size of this place was overwhelming, being hard to imagine that this was all built for one man. Walking through the Palace was amazing. Every room was so detailed and it was such an experience to be walking in history itself. It was absolutely beautiful!
Next we toured the gardens! Now, before we even began treking through the mazes, I mean gardens, we sat down to take a break and take it everything in. It was so surreal for me, to be in Paris, at Versailles, standing looking over the Gardens of Kings. I never imagined anything like this.



After Versailles,  I headed back to the University to charge my phone and rest a bit. This evening, we were scheduled to take a walking tour of the Eiffiel Tower! That's right, you read correctly. A WALKING tour.
When I arrived at the Tower, just seeing this monument is unreal! It's. Huge. Seeing all the stairs I had to climb gave me knots, but just being in Paris and denying myself of this opportunity wasn't going to happen.
The first couple flights were easy, but soon after, I didn't think I would make it!! But determination rulled that day and soon I found myself on the first tier. From there, we had an option. We could either enjoy the view or keep climbing. The push was that on the second floor, we could take an elevator all the way to the top. And that's exactly what I wanted to do. So, up and up and up I climbed.
After much rest and many flights, I found myself on the second tier. I had forgotten how afraid of heights I really was, but I put that behind me and headed to the top!!!
It was the most amazing thing I've ever done in my life!! The views, the experience, the pain in my legs, it was all worth it and I took in every moment!! I'll never forget it!


After, I was headed down to get on our last group excursion of Paris, the river cruise. It was a bittersweet moment, but it gave me time to reflect on my time here and enjoy scenes of Paris from a different view. Paris, you've been good to me.