Monday, June 17, 2013

Day 14: Last day in Brussels

Today is our free day and last day in Brussels so I'm actually kinda excited. Although the trip is winding down, it's actually been satisfying to know I've conquered two cities thus far. Me and some of my roommates went to a couple of museums today, but first we went and got a lunch waffle. The lunch waffle had chicken, cheese, and vegetables on the inside. It was by far one of the best things I've ever tasted. It was probably one of my favorite parts of Brussels. After that, we went to the chocolate museum which was pretty interesting. We saw a lot of different types of chocolate, how chocolate was made, and even some things made out of chocolate. I learned a lot of the cocoa leaf, how it is manipulated into different things, and how intricate the chocolate making process it. After we left the chocolate museum, we went to the beer museum which was interesting as well. We saw how the monks used to brew their beer in these huge pots and how slow the process is. Although the museum wasn't that big, it was still very interesting. After doing a little shopping, we went to a museum that contained a lot of history about Europe. It wasn't very user friendly, because everything was in french. The only thing we understood was the pissing boy exhibit. He had been dressed in an outfit from each country, which I thought was pretty cool. Brussels was an interesting city for the most part: on one hand, if you turn left out of the hostel, you run into the mall, the square, and the majority of civilization. On the other hand, you turn right it turns into a ghetto. I'm not sure which impression of Brussels I was left with.