Friday, June 7, 2013

Museum Day, June 7, 2013

I've been waiting for this day since I got here.

Luckily for me, we went to the two museums I wanted to go to the most: The Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay. The Louvre was my absolute favorite. It's a huge museum and we only got to explore one wing, but I loved every second of it. Our group's main goal was to take a look at the Mona Lisa, but I was determined not to get too distracted by it. In my opinion, there are so many other works of art on the way to the Mona Lisa that are much better. I'm glad I took my time and enjoyed the other paintings and sculptures that I saw.

I actually came across one painting that struck a chord with me. I'm going to try not to sound pretentious here, but talking about art inevitably sounds that way, so here we are.


It's hard not to feel pain when looking at this painting. I can relate to what is expressed here, and when I saw it, I was taken aback by it. Not to mention the art itself is beautiful. This one single painting was worth the trip to me, for sure.

The Mona Lisa had tons of people crowded around it, and I had to force myself through the crowd to get a decent look. It was my least favorite experience of the whole museum tour. I would suggest to anyone who plans on going to the Louvre to take their time and enjoy the museum as a whole, not just this one painting.

The Musee d'Orsay was less impressive, but I'm still glad I got to go in and take a look around.

I still have another full day in Paris, so hopefully I will be able to visit at least one more museum before we head to Brussels. I have no particular museum in mind, and I think I'd love to go to just about any museum.