Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Embassy and the mall, June 10, 2013


Today we went to the U.S. Embassy in Brussels. I think this visit was better than the one in Paris because the speakers were easier to listen to and they talked for longer and more in-depth. The first speaker was interesting because he talked mainly about cultural differences, and how important it is to be aware of them when doing international business. This was interesting to me mainly because I’m interested in psychology and sociology. 
The second speaker was still interesting compared to the speaker we had in Paris at the Embassy, but the first speaker was still my favorite. The Embassy building itself was even interesting because of the artwork on the walls on the way to the meeting room we were going to. The artwork featured New York style faux graffiti and it was nice to see something more American seeing as how I am starting to miss home a bit.
Also, down the hallway there were pictures of Obama and little pieces of commentary to go along with them. I thought the way they set up the place aesthetically was very nice.
Afterwards we walked to the mall and observed a few shops and ate some pita sandwiches. We all tried a new drink as well, and I think that was a good choice. I chose a drink called Tropico, and to be honest, I might just miss having that drink when I go back to the States. While we were at the mall though, I noticed a little bit of a difference between Brussels and Paris when it comes to fashion. In Paris, mostly everyone dressed well, but it didn’t even have to be an expensive outfit or anything. In Brussels, it’s different. I’m sure it’s just a personal opinion but maybe it just so happens that everyone in Brussels dresses in the dark. Who knows?
      So far, I think I like Paris more than I do Brussels. But maybe my next few excursions will change my mind. I’m definitely open for that to happen.