Monday, June 17, 2013

Second day in Amsterdam, June 16, 2013


We were supposed to go on a walking tour of Amsterdam today, but unfortunately that didn’t happen. We were literally 2 minutes late and the tour was already full so we had to find something else to do on our own. In fear of getting super lost, we stayed around the area and looked at some of the surrounding shops. I really hope to take the tour soon, though. I’m sure we missed out on a lot. But on our personal, not-so-great walking tour, we saw some street dancers, and enjoyed the scenery. And of course we visited a ton of souvenir shops to get things for our friends, family, and ourselves.
After the sun set, I went with a couple of friends through town to look at some more shops, bars and restaurants. We forgot that things close down a lot earlier over here, but that didn’t stop us. We went in the few shops that were still open and we bought some fries.
So far Amsterdam has been good, and I haven’t really had a negative experience. Compared to Paris and Brussels, Amsterdam is relaxed, yet very busy. I don’t know how those things managed to exist at the same time, but they do in Amsterdam. It’s different from what I’m used to, and I like it.