Sunday, June 16, 2013

Last day in Brussels, June 14, 2013


For my last day in Brussels, I got to spend the day out with my roommates and tour Brussels for the last time. As soon as we headed out, we knew exactly what we wanted to do. We were determined to go to the Waffle Factory. We weren’t sure of how to get there but we kind of felt our way through the town and made it there. I was pretty impressed that we were able to do that. Brussels has been a challenge to figure out, especially since there are so many little roads with long names. Even the maps didn’t have most of the roads displayed on them. Feeling accomplished, we ordered our waffles and chatted for a while. The other girls had waffles stuffed with chicken and things like that, but I didn’t. My massive sweet tooth wasn’t going to let that happen. I ordered a Nutella waffle and chocolate ice cream on the side. Like any adult would do at 1pm. It was delicious, and I was sad when I figured it would be my last Belgian Waffle. When we were done, we headed toward the center of town and went straight for the chocolate museum. I don’t know how I didn’t end up in a diabetic coma, but here I am. The chocolate museum was small, but there were samples which made it well worth the trip.
Our second museum was beer museum. This museum was even smaller, but the girls got a free beer, which I suppose made the trip worth it for them. We took this opportunity to sit, rest, and chat some more before we went on to the main museum that showed the history of Brussels and the different Manneken Pises with their different outfits on. We were actually really excited about that. For some reason.
The history museum was bigger, and it was probably my favorite. There was a miniature replica of old Brussels set up in one room, and I think that was my favorite part about the museum. The Manneken Pis in different outfits thing seemed lame to me at first, but the outfits were actually really intricate, and there was one to represent all ethnicities and countries. We found one dressed like Elvis, which was super flattering.
By the end of the day, we were exhausted and headed home. We had planned to go out one last time, but everyone was in bed and too tired to go anywhere. I wasn’t bothered by not going out. I needed my rest.
Brussels was fun, but I have a feeling Amsterdam will be better. I have high expectations. I also want to take at least one bike tour. You can’t go to Amsterdam without taking a bike tour. That’s like going to Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower.