Monday, June 17, 2013

Third day in Amsterdam, June 17, 2013


Leaving the hostel at 6:45am wasn’t really my idea of a good time, but it was a pretty neat excursion. My class had to leave early in order to make it to the flower shop on time. We got to see how the flowers were exported and auctioned off. I really never considered it to be that big of a business, but it is. It was interesting to see how many people were hustling around grouping the flowers together in order to get them to their buyers. They didn’t sell to individual consumers, but to other businesses that were going to sell them to consumers. So naturally, there were tons of different types of flowers all around in this warehouse.
Seeing the auction was unexpected to me. The buyers had two laptops on their desks, and were very concentrated on buying the right flowers for the right price. It was pretty intense considering that they were being so serious about flowers.
After I was done with this excursion, I was done for the day. I haven’t gotten much sleep on the trip so I went to my room and took a long nap. Travelling can be exhausting but it’s very well worth it. I’d rather be tired and travelling abroad than well-rested at home with nothing to do.