Monday, June 10, 2013

Day 9: The first day and I'm sick

Today was our first full day in Brussels and i felt so sick when I woke up. Last night, my sinuses had been bothering me, and I thought a good night's sleep would help. I woke up, went to breakfast came back and told my roommate to let Dr. V know that I wasn't in any shape to go to the embassay. It sucked because I didn't wanna miss any excursions on this trip. I ended up getting an extra three hours of sleep which helped a lot. By the time I woke up, my classmates had returned, and we went to lunch with Dr. V., but by the time lunch was over, I was ready to go back to sleep again. I came back to the hostel and went to sleep for a little while longer again. This time when I woke up, I felt much better than I did the first time. We ended up going back to the mall we went to for lunch, which I was finally able to enjoy because I felt better. The street that has the mall on it is actually a much better part of Brussels than where we live. It's actually nice. I learned that the reason Brussels is such an unattractive city is because it was such a war zone, and a bomb had dropped on it. This makes sense, it explains the ugly architecture and the graffiti. I also learned that people don't need a permit to move here like they would for other cities, so people just move here and don't maintain the neighborhoods, etc. Anyhoo, I'm  staying in tonight so I can make sure I feel up to going on tomorrow's excursions.